How do you make a dotted line in a table of contents in Word?
Change the layout of your table of contents
- To add a dot leader, or dotted line, between each entry and its page number, click the Tab leader list and then click the dotted line.
- To change the overall appearance of your table of contents, click the Formats list, and then click the format that you want.
How do I line up the dots in a table of contents?
Place your cursor between a chapter name and the page number in your table of contents. Press the “Tab” button, and the dots are auto-generated for you. Repeat these steps for each chapter in your table of contents.
Which comes first list of figures or list of tables?
If even one numbered table or figure appears in your manuscript, then a List of Tables and/or a List of Figures must be included in your manuscript following the Table of Contents. If both are used, arrange the List of Tables before the List of Figures.
How do I make a list of tables?
- Click on the Reference tab.
- Click on Insert Table of Figures in the Captions section.
- Under General, make sure that Caption label is set to Table.
- Also make sure that Include label and number is unchecked.
- Click on Options.
- Check the Style box, and select Table title in the dropdown box.
- Click OK.
- Click on Modify.
What does a table of figures look like?
A table of figures is a list, sorted by page number, of the captions pulled from figures, images, or tables in your document. It’s like a table of contents, but it’s a table of anything to which you can add a caption.
What is a list of tables and figures?
A List of Figures and/or a List of Tables will show all of the graphics, equations, and tables in a document. However, for an element to be recognized, it must have a caption.
What is the difference between list of tables and list of figures?
Tables are text or numbers in the form of columns whereas figures are illustrations of different kinds like a pie chart, a drawing, a photograph, any graphic which represents the data in a graphic form. Tables are labeled at the top of the illustration whereas figures are labeled below the illustration.
Do I need a list of figures?
You should definitely ask your advisor but normally you only need a list of tables or a list of figures if there will be more than 5 items in the list. For three or four items, I would not include a list.
What is list of figures in Project report?
Readers use the list of figures to quickly find the illustrations, diagrams, tables, and charts in your report. Complications arise when you have both tables and figures. Strictly speaking, figures are illustrations, drawings, photographs, graphs, and charts.
What is the first step you would take to create a table of authorities?
Answer: To create a Table of Authorities, you first enter each citation within the body of the document. Then you mark each one as a citation via Word’s Mark Citation feature. Finally, you assemble the Table of Authorities, compiling all the marked citations.
Where do you put a list of tables and figures in thesis?
Lists of Tables, Figures, and Illustrations
- Include the heading(s) in all capital letters, centered 1″ below the top of the page.
- Include one double-spaced line between the heading and the first entry.
- Each entry must include a number, title, and page number.
Where do you put Acknowledgements in a report?
Acknowledgment sections are always present in both papers and academic theses. For papers, the Acknowledgments section is usually presented at the back, whereas in a thesis, this section is located towards the front of the manuscript and is commonly placed somewhere between the abstract and introduction.
Should list of figures be in table of contents?
The list of figures and list of tables, if used, are included (see the Table of Contents in this handbook for a sample using numbered chapters; see Figures 2.6, 2.7, and 2.8 for additional options). All chapters or titled sections and all first-level subheadings of the manuscript are listed in the table of contents.
Where should all figures go?
The List of illustrations will come after the Contents page (on a separate page) and before the Introduction. This page should list the name of each figure of illustration that is included in the body of your dissertation or thesis and then give the number of the page that it appears on.
What is a table of figures in a report?
In addition to the Table of Contents, a Table of Figures and Tables is usually required in a report. It is situated immediately after the Table of Contents. It contains a list of figures, statistical tables, diagrams and graphs, including their titles.
How do you format a table of figures?
Create or change a table of figures
- Click in your document where you want to insert the table of figures.
- On the Insert menu, click Index and Tables, and then click the Table of Figures tab.
- Click Options, and then select the Style check box.
- On the Style pop-up menu, click the style name that is used for the figure captions, and then click OK.
How do you present a table in a report?
Tables should be:
- Centered on the page.
- Numbered in the order they appear in the text.
- Referenced in the order they appear in the text.
- Labeled with the table number and descriptive title above the table.
- Labeled with column and/or row labels that describe the data, including units of measurement.
Where do you put table of figures?
If you are submitting a manuscript to a journal using APA style, then you typically put tables and figures at the end of the manuscript. If you are using APA style to guide your thesis, then tables and figures will almost always go in the body where they are presented in text.