What can I do if I know the person who scammed me?


What can I do if I know the person who scammed me?

Report Most Common Scams The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is the main agency that collects scam reports. Report your scam online with the FTC complaint assistant, or by phone at 1-877-382-4357 (9:00 AM – 8:00 PM, ET).

How can I recover my money from being scammed?

Consider filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. If you’ve been a victim of fraud, identity theft or deceptive business practices, filing a consumer complaint with the FTC may be a good option for you to potentially recover money from a scammer.

What do you do if you give out personal information?

Contact your local police department to file a criminal report. Contact the Social Security Administration’s Fraud Hotline to report the unauthorized use of your personal identification information. Notify the Department of Motor Vehicles of your identity theft.

How do I deal with my emotions after being scammed?

Switch your thinking to the things you CAN do, forgive yourself because it is really true that we all make mistakes sometimes. Ask for help when you need it. You may be telling yourself that you *should* be able to handle this, or that you are making more out of it than you should.

What do I do if I get conned out of money?

Go to your local police station and file a police report, bringing with you all of the evidence that you have of the crime. Contact your creditors and ask for your accounts to be closed or for account numbers to be changed. Order your credit reports and read them for accuracy. Put a fraud alert on your credit files.

What happens when someone steals your identity?

Identity (ID) theft happens when someone steals your personal information to commit fraud. The identity thief may use your information to apply for credit, file taxes, or get medical services. These acts can damage your credit status, and cost you time and money to restore your good name.

How do I overcome being scammed?

What You Can Do to Avoid a Scam

  1. Block unwanted calls and text messages.
  2. Don’t give your personal or financial information in response to a request that you didn’t expect.
  3. Resist the pressure to act immediately.
  4. Know how scammers tell you to pay.
  5. Stop and talk to someone you trust.

How do you deal with being conned?


  2. Don’t beat yourself up.
  3. Do not allow yourself to be casually judged.
  4. Give yourself time to grieve.
  5. Remember this at all times: YOU ARE A VICTIM.
  6. Get on with your life!

How can I get my identity back?

Here are 10 steps to take if you feel that you may have been a victim of identity fraud.

  1. Notify affected creditors or banks.
  2. Put a fraud alert on your credit report.
  3. Check your credit reports.
  4. Freeze your credit.
  5. Report the identity theft to the FTC.
  6. Go to the police.
  7. Remove fraudulent info from your credit report.

What to do if you are the victim of a fraud?

If the fraud you’ve been a victim of violates federal law, as is often the case, there’s probably a government agency that handles it.

What to do if you are a victim of identity theft?

If you believe you’re a victim of identity theft (e.g., someone opened a credit card in your name), follow all the steps above, plus: Add a fraud alert to your credit report by visiting our fraud center. If you find fraudulent accounts or inquiries on your credit report, contact each creditor directly to make them aware of the fraud.

What to do if you find fraud on your credit report?

If you find fraudulent accounts or inquiries on your credit report, contact each creditor directly to make them aware of the fraud. If you’re a member of Experian, you’ll also have access to a dedicated Fraud Resolution Agent, who will work with you to correct fraudulent information with your creditors.

What should I do if I was scammed by a company?

Contact your service provider to take back control of your phone number. Once you do, change your account password. Also check your credit card, bank, and other financial accounts for unauthorized charges or changes. If you see any, report them to the company or institution.


About the author

Add Comment

By Admin

Your sidebar area is currently empty. Hurry up and add some widgets.